Deaf Health Communication (*denotes student authors)
- Kushalnagar, P., Harris, R., Paludneviciene, R., & Hoglind, T. (2017). Protocol for Cultural Adaptation and Linguistic Validation of Health Information National Trends Survey in American Sign Language (HINTS-ASL). Journal of Medical Internet Research Protocols. doi:10.2196/jmir.8067
- Kushalnagar, P. & Kushalnagar, R. (forthcoming). Health information seeking among deaf adults: Findings from the 2017 health information national trends survey in American Sign Language (HINTS-ASL). Emerald Studies in Media and Communication_e-Health: Current Evidence, Promises, Perils, and Future Directions.
- Kushalnagar, P., Ryan, C.*, Smith, S., & Kushalnagar, R. (2017). Critical Health Literacy in American Deaf College Students. Health Promotion International. doi: 10.1093/heapro/dax022.
- Kushalnagar, P., Smith, S., Hopper, M., Ryan, C.*, Rinkevich, M.*, & Kushalnagar, R. (2016). Making Cancer Health Text on the Internet Easier to Read for Deaf People who use American Sign Language. Journal of Cancer Education.
- Kushalnagar, P. & Paludneviciene, R. (2016). HINTS-ASL: Inclusion of Deaf Adults in Cancer Health and Internet Research. Journal of Cancer Education, 31(S1): doi: 10.1007/s13187-016-1075-5.
- Kushalnagar, P., Naturale, J., Paludneviciene, R., Smith, SR, Werfel, E.*, Doolittle, R., Jacobs, S., DeCaro, J. (2015). Health Websites: Accessibility and Usability for American Sign Language Users. Journal of Health Communication. 30, 8, 830-7.
- Smith, SR., Kushalnagar, P., & Hauser, PC. (2015). Deaf adolescents’ learning of cardiovascular health information: Sources and access challenges. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education. 20, 4, 408-418.
Deaf Health and Quality of Life Outcomes (*denotes student authors)
- Kushalnagar, P., Moreland, C., Simons, A., & Holcomb, T.* (forthcoming). Perceived communication barrier in family is linked to increased risks for food insecurity among deaf adults who use American Sign Language. Public Health Nutrition.
- Kushalnagar, P., Atcherson, S., Paludneviciene, R., Schlehofer, D., Bruce, S*., Gardner, E*., McCaw-Maxwell, D., & Cella, D. (2016). PROMIS-ASL: Patient Reported Outcomes Measure for Deaf/HH Adults. Quality of Life Research, 25(S1), 197.
- Kushalnagar, P., Bruce, S.*, Sutton, T., & Leigh, I. (2017). Retrospective Parent-Child Communication Difficulties and Risk for Depression in Deaf Adults. Journal of Physical and Developmental Disabilities. DOI 10.1007/s10882-016-9501-5
- Kushalnagar, P., Draganac-Hawk, M, & Patrick, DL (2015). Quality of Life among Latino Deaf/HH Individuals in USA. In After five world congress on mental health and deafness. Advances, opportunities and challenges. Ed. Benito Estrada. Gallaudet University Press.
- Kushalnagar, P., McKee, M., Smith, SR., Hopper, M., Kavin, D., & Atcherson, SR. (2014). Conceptual model of quality of life in adults with congenital and early deafness. Disability and Health Journal, 7, 3.
- Schick, B., Skalicky, A., Edwards, T., Kushalnagar, P., Topolski, TD., & Patrick, DL (2013). School Placement and Perceived Quality of Life in Youth who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 18, 47-61.
- Kushalnagar, P.; Topolski, TD; Schick, B; Edwards, TE; Skalicky, AM; Patrick, DL (2011). Mode of communication, perceived level of understanding and perceived quality of life in youth who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 16, 512-23.
- Rashid, K.; Kushalnagar, P.; Kushalnagar R. (2011). How deaf adult signers experience implants: some preliminary conclusions. In Cochlear Implants: An Evolving Perspective, Eds. Raylene Paludneviciene and Irene Leigh. Gallaudet University Press, Washington, D.C.
- Patrick, DP, Edwards, TC, Skalicky, AM, Leng, M, Topolski, T, Schick, B, Kushalnagar, P., Sie, K. (2011). Measurement properties of a quality of life instrument for youth who are deaf or hard of hearing (YQOL-DHH). Archives of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, 145, 137-45.